Margaret was born in White Water, WS on May 20, 1865 to John R and Sarah Bowers. Her parents relocated to Manona IA where she attended grade school. She began work as a teacher at the age of 17, taught two years in Iowa coming to Mandan Dakota Territory in time for the 1884-85 school year.
She was assigned to the "West End" school, located on the corner of Main Street and Eighth Ave NW. The building was a two room, two story building converted from a house. Miss Bowers was primary teacher and principal and taught in the room on the ground floor. She taught first and second grades and had about 25 pupils and received $55 a month. The other teacher, Miss Ida Ellison taught the third fourth and fifth grades. All pupils above the fifth grade went to the "East End" school a four room frame building located on the corner of First Ave NW and Second Street. This building was used afterwards as City Hall. The principal of this school was Mr. Parsons and there were three other teachers. Both school buildings later burned down.
On September 16, 1885, Margaret married George H. Bingenheimer, who was at the time Treasurer of Morton County.
Mrs. Bingenheimer has been a member of the library board since its organization and was on the board of the Mandan Hospital until it was taken over by the Methodist Church. She was also a trustee of the Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. Bingenheimer's parents and her two brothers, John Jr. and Gerald Bowers, came to Mandan about 1890. John Sr., a cabinet maker, had retired by the time they moved to Mandan. Brother Gerald lived in Mandan until 1905 when he moved to Minneapolis and lived for 30 years, returning to Mandan in 1935. John Bowers has made his home in Mandan since 1890 and was engaged in the abstract business here.
The MHSoc's museum and office is located at 3102 37th St; PO Box 98; Mandan, ND 58554 Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org