Help volunteer members record and preserve Mandan's history with a small donation via PayPal to support the Mandan Historical Society. Your donation will be split evenly between the Endowment Fund and current support for the Society's activities.
What's New at the Website!
To assist frequent visitors to our website, our Webmaster would like to call specific attention to following recent changes.
Note: Changes to meeting and event schedules are frequent and will not be listed here.
Please provide comments and suggested changes to our webmaster either by placing suggestions in the guestbook on the home/[Welcome] page, or via email at email@example.com
January 14, 2017 - Area Landmark - First Presbyterian Church
The original 1881 wood church was replaced with the current brick church building in 1916 at the same location.
This webpage is at [Area Landmarks] --> [First Presbyterian Church]
December 23, 2016 - Area History - Mail Order "Kit Homes"
During the post auto river bridge era of the early 1920s, Mandan's growth exploded. Kit homes, complete with all the pre-cut lumber and necessary hardware, were extremely popular available mail order through the Sears & Roebuck. Over 30 of these homes in Mandan remain.
This webpage is found under [Area History] --> [Mail Order Homes]
December 17, 2016 - Gone Forever - Palace Theatre.
In December 1916, the Palace Theatre constructed by Harry L. Hartman replaced two other venues he purchased earlier that year. The Grand Theatre and the Rex Theater were previously operated by Rex Sanderson. One of the first fully electrified buildings in Mandan, the Palace Theatre was located on Third Ave NW one block north of the railroad depot and between key hotels.
This webpage is found under [Gone Forever] --> [Palace Theatre]
December 10, 2016 - Area History - 1910 Spring Floods
The early breakup of the Missouri and Heart Rivers brought the highest watermark for flooding in the city since 1881, suspending mail and rail connections with the east. Water dykes and flooded the south side of the city, inluding the Syndicate section and fairgrounds. Large chunks of ice snapped poles and left the city without electricity.
This webpage is found under [Area History] --> [1910 Spring Flood]
December 3, 2016 - Emerson Institute / Opera House
Michael Lang and H.R. Lyon were instrumental in establishing the Emerson Institute, home to cultural events in the early 1880-90s. The building would eventually be enlarged with an expanded stage and seating capacity and renamed the "Opera House."
This webpage is found under [Gone Forever] --> [Emerson Institute/Opera House]
November 11, 2015 - Gone Forever - Topic Theatre
The Topic Theatre (later renamed the Family Theater) was located just west of the InterOcean Hotel on west Main Street. Originally opened as a live entertainment venue, one movie screen was later added in 1915 with the advent of silent "moving pictures" by Harry Hartman. Hartman, he would later build the Palace Theatre two blocks away.
This webpage is found at [Gone Forever] --> [Topic Theatre]
January 7, 2015 New Welcome Page Image
Familar to Mandan residents, the bronco rider paired with the city's slogan "Where the West Begins" has long been associated with the city.
This image, reproduced from a car decal donated to the Society from the collection of by Minnesota resident Junelle Bernard, is an excellent example of a car window decal popular in the 1950s and 1960s.
The MHSoc's museum and office is located at 3102 37th St; PO Box 98; Mandan, ND 58554 Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave message at (701) 663-5200